Duck with red Chimichurri
A good friend of mine asked if I could do something with a duck he slaughtered himself. Of course!
After visiting my local greengrocer, I came home with mini leeks, a bunch of parsley, a bag of new potatoes, etc. and I started right away!
- 2 duck breast fillets
- 6 mini leeks (or 2 large leeks)
- 1 cup of parsley, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 cup of parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of paprika powder, smoked
- 1 cup of olive oil
Half potatoes with rosemary:
- A handful of new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of rosemary, dried
Dinner, Kogel BBQ, Duck, Chimichurri
1. Prepare a BBQ for grilling with 2 zones at about 200°C. You do this by filling 1 side of your BBQ with coal and leaving the other side empty.
2. Meanwhile season the duck with some (smoked) salt. We add the pepper after baking, this prevents the pepper from burning and a bitter taste in your meat.
3. Place the duck breast directly over the coals for about 2 minutes per side.
PAY ATTENTION! The fat can cause large flames, so make sure you use heat resistant gloves!
Cut the bell pepper in half and remove the seeds. Place the bell pepper and chilli on the grid directly above the coals.
After searing, place the duck breast on the indirect zone and let it cook until a core temperature of 51°C.
In the meantime, cut the potatoes into 2 and put them in a bowl. Add the olive oil and rosemary to the potatoes and mix well. Let it steep for a while.
5. When the skins of the peppers and chillies are blackened, remove them from the BBQ.
Remove the skin from the pepper and chilli by scraping it with a knife, it should come off immediately.
Place the potatoes on the indirect zone. Let them cook for about 15 minutes.
6. Finely chop the parsley, it is best to do this by hand. If you do this with a food processor, you will chop it so finely that it becomes a puree.
Crush the clove of garlic and finely chop it. Put both in a bowl.
7. Cut the bell pepper and chilli into small cubes and place in a bowl.
8. Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar to the mixture and stir well.
9. Cut the leeks in 2 and place them directly above the coals to get nice grill lines. Then move them to the indirect side and let them cook until the potatoes and duck are ready.
10. The potatoes are ready when they are tender, feel free to taste one while cooking. Of course the chef wants something too.
Remove the duck breast from the BBQ when they have reached a core temperature of 51 ° C. Let them rest for a while.