Crown of lamb with broccoli
Even after the holidays we are allowed to eat lamb crown. This recipe is great for any occasion!
The soft lamb meat in combination with the crispy potatoes and creamy broccoli, delicious! And to top it all off, the meat is smoked with the Beech chips from Longstreet smokers!
- 1 rack of lamb
- 1 broccoli
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- pepper, freshly ground
- salt, smoked
- A cooking pot that can get dirty
Dinner, Kogel BBQ, Culinair, Lamb, Broccoli, Potato
1. Remove your rack of lamb from the refrigerator an hour in advance.
Trim the pericarp of the rack of lamb, this fleece does not break off on the BBQ and provides a tough feeling. Let your rack of lamb come to room temperature.
2. Prepare a BBQ for grilling with 2 zones at about 200°C. You do this by filling 1 side of your BBQ with coal and leaving the other side empty
3. Cut the broccoli into florets, put them in a cooking pot that can get dirty and fill with water until just covered. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the cooking pot of water directly over the coals and cook until the broccoli is al dente.
In the meantime, cut the potatoes into slices about half a cm thick.
Put them in a bowl with some olive oil and a saltier BBQ rub. I have the Peprub from PureBBQ. It really goes well with grilled potatoes.
5. Place the potatoes on a vegetable grid and place them on the indirect side of the BBQ.
Bake for 40 minutes.
6. Season the rack of lamb with salt. We add pepper after grilling to reduce the chance that the dish will become bitter.
7. Now we are going to prepare the 'smoke bomb'. I used Beech wood from Longstreet Smokers.
Take some wood chips and put them on a piece of aluminum foil, roll it up and poke some holes in it. For example, with wood chips you get the same effect as a chunk, or larger piece of wood.
8. Place the packet of smokewood between the coals and wait for it to smoke.
Place the rack of lamb on the indirect side of the BBQ and let it cook to a core temperature of approximately 54°C.
Meanwhile, the broccoli florets will be ready. Remove them from the BBQ and put half of them in a bowl with some butter.
Puree everything into a smooth cream.
9. When the rack of lamb has a core temperature of 54°C, remove the thermometer and grill it directly over the coals. You do this for about 2 minutes per side.
10. Let the lamb rest for a while.
Dress the plate and enjoy!