Smoked broccoli with cheese
This dish is based on the 'normal' broccoli with cheese that you often see in our tasty Belgian farmhouse fare.
It goes perfectly with any meat and / or fish dish, it is very easy to conjure up on the table!
- 454 grams of broccoli florets
- 227 grams bacon cubes
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of herb rub
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 31 grams of flour
- 237 ml vegetable bouillon
- 454 grams of cheddar
- 100 grams of parmesan
- 108 grams of breadcrumbs
- A cast iron pan (skillet)
Side dish, Kogel BBQ, Broccoli
1. Prepare a BBQ for grilling in 2 zones at about 200°C. You do this by placing the coals on one side and lighting it (this is the direct zone) and leaving the other side of your BBQ empty (this is the indirect zone).
Put your skillet on the grid and let it come to temperature.
2. Fry the bacon cubes in the skillet until crispy.
3. Remove the bacon from the skillet and add the onion with the spice rub. Cook until the onions are soft.
4. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
5. Add the flour and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring.
6. Add the broth and let it simmer.
7. Add the cheddar with a handful of thyme, stir until smooth.
8. Add the bacon cubes and broccoli florets along with half of the parmesan.
9. Drizzle with breadcrumbs and the rest of the parmesan.
10. Bake until you have a crispy crust.